How Employees Can Compare Competencies For Career Plan and Job Exploration
Talent Management – ALL
Applicable Releases: All
The purpose of this article is to describe how an employee can use their Talent Profile Career Plan page to compare competencies when exploring jobs and career path plans. The Career Plan page in the Talent Profile is a place for the employee and manager to map out the employee’s future career moves. Career planning begins by considering an employee’s general statements about their strengths, developmental opportunities, successes, and passions; it provides resources for the employee and manager to research internal career opportunities; and culminates in specific short- and long-term areas of interest.
The Explore Jobs section of the Talent Profile Career Exploration page allows employees to search for jobs, compare them side-by-side, and submit an application to jobs of interest.
Note: Depending on how your site is configured, you may be able to search for and submit to internal openings at your company, either by keywords or by filtering on jobs, organizations, or locations.
- The keyword search searches only on text in the Description and Synopsis portions of the requisition document associated with each opening.
- You may also be able to compare your rated competencies with the competencies required for jobs you would like to move into and plan development activities to close any gaps.
To compare competencies:
1. To to Primary Navigation Menu > Talent Profile > Career Plan > Career Exploration.
2. Scroll down, if necessary, to the Explore Jobs section, and select up to five jobs from the SmartGrid by selecting the check boxes in the first column.
- Quick Reference: The Quick Filter drop-down box allows you to select from several preconfigured filters to quickly see jobs that match the filter's criteria. You can also use standard SmartGrid filtering to narrow your search.
3. You can then select up to five Jobs that you would like to compare competencies for by checking the box in from the Job name in the smart grid.
4. Next, click Compare Competencies. The Job Competency Compare dialog box opens, displaying bar charts of competencies that are associated with the selected jobs.
5. Optionally, you can do the following:
- To the left of the bar charts, clear the check boxes of rating types you do not want to appear in the display.
- Click a competency name to view details about that competency.
- Target ratings for competencies appear as horizontal lines across the bar charts. Hover over the diamond on the right end of the line to view the job(s) associated with that competency and a description of the target rating.
- For each competency, a count of associated development activities appears to the right of the bar charts. You can click this icon to add development activities to a competency, or hover over the icon to view, manage, or disassociate existing development activities.
- If ad hoc ratings are displayed, you can click the plus sign below the Ad Hoc Self bar to rate yourself, or click the plus sign below the Ad Hoc Others bar to request another employee to rate you on that competency.
6. When done, click Cancel.
To view a short video demonstration of this feature, click here.