You can generate an exam as a standalone learning module, which learners can search for and enroll in as if it were a course. You can generate an exam module from any exam saved as a template (that is, where the Is a Template? check box is selected in the Exam Editor's Details tab).
You can make exams accessible to learners through self-enrollment, group enrollment or automatic enrollment. As with regular (non-module) exams, you can assign several layers of security to restrict its availability to learners and supervisors. For example, if you choose Assignment Access Code for the enrollment type, candidates must enter the code to launch the exam.
Configure Exam Security
You can assign several layers of security to restrict an exam's availability to learners and supervisors. For example, if you choose Assignment Access Code for the enrollment type, candidates must enter the code to launch the exam. You could embed this in content they are required to read, and provide instructions in the exam's reference information (entered in the Details tab).
You can restrict access by enrollment and by IP address range. You can also use the IP address range to restrict participants and reviewers reviewing completed exams.
Generate Exam Module
When you generate an exam as a module you must specify start and end dates for its availability. Generated exams have the same name as their template but a new ID. If you do not yet have start and end dates for the exam, instead of generating it as a module, you can import it as a resource (Manage Center > Learning > Import resource).
To generate an exam module
- Go to Manage Center > Learning > Exams. The Exam and Question Manager page opens at the Exams tab.
- Select Generate Exam Module from the + Create Exam drop-down list. The Generate Exam Module dialog opens.
- Select the Exam Pool containing the exam you want to generate.
- Select the Exam template from the drop-down list. (This list shows only exams marked as templates.)
- Select the Enrollment Type. You can change the enrollment type in the Security tab in the Exam Editor.
- Select the start and end dates for the exam's availability to learners.
- Click Generate. A dialog opens to tell you if the exam was successfully generated.
- Click Edit Exam to update the exam details, or Open Catalog Editor to configure the learning module.