User targeting templates enable you to specify the criteria for selecting users and then use the template to select users, such as when setting permissions for viewing courses in the Catalog Browser or search results. When you create a user targeting template your selection criteria are saved in the template so that you don't have to keep specifying the same criteria for different features in the LMS.
Administrators can use user targeting templates to select users in the following user selectors:
- Permission Selector
- Appraisal Target Audience Selector
- Activate a System Language
- Create Token Package
To manage user targeting templates, your user role must have unrestricted access to the User Targeting Template Manager feature in System Roles (Manage Features > User Manager Features).
To manage user targeting templates, go to Manage Center > Users > User Targeting Template Manager.
Set Access Permissions for a Template
When you create a user targeting template only your user account has access to it, and therefore only you can use it to select users. To allow other LMS users to access a template, you must give them read-only permission in the Permission Selector. To allow other LMS users to edit a template, you must give them unrestricted permission.
Editing and Deleting Templates
The Edit and Delete actions are available from the action menu only if you have unrestricted permission for the template.
User Targeting Template Support in Data Loaders
You can specify a user-targeting template in the following data loaders:
- Role Access Data Loader
- Question Data Loader
- Equivalency Rule Data Loader
Note that to use a template in a data loader, the person uploading the CSV data file must have at least Read Only permission for the template.
Using a User Targeting Template as a Search Filter
When the Enable User Targeting Template Search Filter System Configuration setting is enabled, an advanced search filter is added to some pages (for example, Learning Modules) that enable you to search for all objects of the given type that use a given User Targeting Template for either read or write permissions.
Create a User Targeting Template
Administrators can use user targeting templates to select users according to specific criteria for various LMS features that target a defined set of users. To use user targeting templates, your user account's system role must have the required User Targeting Template Manager access control setting.
When selecting users to include in a template, you can combine one or more individually selected users with one or more user groups, organizations and roles.
Because organizations can have a hierarchical structure, you can select organizations to include and those to exclude. This enables you to select a parent organization but exclude one or more of its child organizations.
To create a user targeting template
- Go to Manage Center > Users > User Targeting Template Manager. The User Targeting Template Manager lists any user targeting templates that you have Read Only or Unrestricted access permission for.
- Click + Create Template. A new blank user targeting template opens.
- Enter a unique code and a short, descriptive name for the template.
- In the User Targeting Template settings box, select the users to include in the targeting template.
- To select users in the Users box, start typing a user's ID or name and select a user from the autocomplete list, or click the browse icon to open the User Selector.
- To select users from user groups, organizations and roles, select the criteria from the drop-down list and click Add. A selection box appears.
- Click inside the selection box or on its title to select the user groups, roles or organizations to select the users from.
- Click Save. The template is added to the list on the User Targeting Templates page.
- To configure the access permissions for a template, select Permissions from its action menu.
User Targeting Templates in Data Loaders
When you specify a user targeting template in a data loader, you can choose whether subsequent changes to the user targeting template will be applied to the LMS object that uses it to select users (for example, System Roles). If not, the user targeting template criteria are copied to the LMS object and any subsequent changes to the user targeting template are not applied.
The following table describes the data loader fields you use to specify how the user targeting template will be applied to the LMS object.
For the Equivalency Rule Data Loader the Target Audience will be set to specified user targeting template even if the Apply Target Audience to All Organizations data loader option has been enabled.