Course administrators can configure a class schedule for Classroom and Virtual Classroom sessions, using the planner on the Edit session class schedule page in the Catalog Editor to see when venues, instructors and resources are available. The planner shows the default instructors assigned to the session and recommended resources for the course, that is, instructors assigned in the session's Instructors page, and recommended class resources specified in the learning module's Recommended Class Resources page.
You can change the Working Days and Working Hours shown on the planner to coincide with local working hours or those of a particular venue or training center; the duration of the scheduled class is shown as a proportion of the working hours for each day.
To add a class schedule:
- Go to Manage Center > Learning > Learning Modules and click the name of the learning module you want to configure a class for. The Catalog Editor opens at the Define Module Properties page.
- Click Session Properties to select a session to configure.
- Select a session from the drop-down list and click Go.
- Click Edit session class schedule in the Session Properties tab. The Session Class Schedule page opens.
- Click Add new. The Schedule a New Class page opens in a new window.
- Enter the start and end dates and times for the class. Although you can configure a single class to span several days, it is recommended that classes start and end on the same day, and that you create separate class schedules for different days.
- Click Go. The planner switches to the week containing the start date. If the resources required for the class are not available for the selected date, you can click Previous Fit or Next Fit to find the nearest date before or after the preferred date respectively, when the resources are available.
- To book a class into a venue not associated with a training center, select Venue and enter a venue name and, if needed, a room name.
- To book a class into a training center, select Training Center and then select a training center from the drop-down list. The associated venues and resources are listed in the resource planner. A horizontal bar in the planner indicates that a venue or resource has already been booked during a particular time period. If the bar is yellow, the booking belongs to the current course session; if it's red, the booking belongs to some other course session. More information about the booking is shown when you mouse-over the horizontal bar.
- Optionally, enter the minimum and maximum class size for a training center. Venues whose capacity is outside of the class size range are removed from the list of venues you can select. The minimum and maximum class sizes for venues are specified in the Facilities for the training center.
- On the planner, select one venue associated with the training center for the current class by clicking the icon to the left of it.
- Instructors set at the session level are automatically included in the planner. To add more instructors to the planner for the class, click the + icon next to Instructors in the planner. The Select Instructors window opens. (This works in the same way as the User Selector). Existing bookings for the instructors are indicated by horizontal bars. More information about each booking is shown when you mouse-over the horizontal bar.
- Check the box of one or more instructors to book for the class.
- Enter the number of each available resource to book for the class.
- Click Book Selected Resources. The Schedule a New Class window closes, returning you to the Session Class Schedule page. The new class schedule is added to the Class Schedule list.
- Click the Save icon to save your changes.
To edit a class schedule:
Follow the steps above, but instead of clicking Add new at step 5, click the icon on the right-hand side of the class schedule you want to edit.